Monday, January 17, 2011

The Hair Crisis


                                                                                         VS.

Who would have guessed that the biggest decision of my adult life would come down to my hair?  Ha!  I mean, I guess I could have seen it coming but not really--no, not really at all.  You see, my friends, I am faced with the decision of a lifetime: I have scheduled an appointment with the barber tomorrow at 2:30PM and I have to tell him whether I want t redo my vintage eurotrash mohawk/mullet (with lines on the sides) or if I want to scrap it all and go with an all-new adult professional haircut.
As laughable as this “crisis” is--this decision actually really does symbolize a very significant decision in my new non-student adult life.  You see, for the last 6 or so years, my hair has played a very large role in my identity.  I’m Wyatt Baker, I have crazy hair that screams my name from a mile away.  I’ve had everything from mohawks to mullets to skin bald to blue dreadlocks and everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in between.  Yes, for brief moments in time I have had normal, professional-looking haircuts but these moments were only ever transition periods from one dramatic haircut to the next.  But this time if I choose to get a professional haircut it will be for the express purpose of getting a professional haircut--it will not be a means to an end, it will be an end itself and  that would be historic for me (if I choose to go with the professional cut, that is).
Essentially this decision is me deciding if I can getaway with my adolescent/college era extreme expressive-ism for another few months or if this really is the time for me to take my first step into the dark unknown--the adult world.  This will not be just like any other decision I make.  I’m pretty sure that once I take the plunge into the adult world there will be no turning back.  The era of “Wyatt’s Hair” will be over and a new era will begin.
So as embarrassing as it is to admit this, the decision regarding this haircut has effectively made my world come to a screeching halt.  It’s perhaps one of the biggest decisions that I will ever make: Will I choose to continue my free-loving, no-strings-attached adolescent/college lifestyle (which might I add is a lot of fun) or will I choose to end that phase of my life and consciously make the decision to begin my new adult life?  Am I ready to give up my unique image that I’ve worked so hard to cultivate over the years (an image that I have grown around and come to rely on)?  Am I ready to be judged not by my appearance but by my merit and ability?  Do I have what it takes?  I don’t know.  Am I ready to take this plunge or should I make the most of my current situation of total autonomy?  The decision is mine to make.  What will it be?
Below is a photo gallery of my various hairstyles over the years (from about 2005 to 2011) to commemorate this phase of my life and make this decision that much more dramatic and difficult.























No comments:

Post a Comment